Friday 26 January 2018

Faltaire and Homeopathic Gunpowder!

The test firing has attracted some interested parties to the event, not least of them Monsieur Faltaire, the Burggrave’s natural philosopher.

‘Ah my Dear Faltaire, I am so glad that you could make it this morning.  Von Rumpfler and I have just had a very satisfactory test of the new ‘Brummers’.  That will show those damned fellows of Imperial Fenwick!'
‘Indeed, yes, sire.  I’m no gunner but these should make short work of the fortifications in Fenwick!  The damned Imperials had better have a care or their walls will come tumbling down!’  Von Rumpfler replies gruffly.

‘I am indeed glad to see you, Faltaire’, continues the Burggrave.  ‘As you know, your ‘game of war’ has proved highly efficacious.  Von Rumpfler was able to perfect his oblique manoeuvres while playing your ‘game’ and then replicate it on the actual battlefield.  Capital!  What’s more, the continued duelling between officers of the different persuasions of gaming - the two footers and the half-inchers - has resulted in many promotions for keen young officers and a vastly reduced number of supernumerary officers in the army!  The Burggravial Treasury might even record a surplus this year!  I knew, I simply knew that retaining a natural philosopher would pay dividends.  And so, may I ask how your researches into the de-phlogistication of gunpowder are proceeding?’ questions Burggrave Falco.

‘Ah, ahem, well, my dear Burggrave, I have found it very difficult to make progress even though the theory is most promising’, explains Faltaire.  ‘I have found that every time I attempt to ‘burn’ the gunpowder prior to combustion, I find that it simply explodes.  I have tried everything I can:  I have used a vacuum; I have placed the gunpowder under water; I have even attempted to burn the constituent parts of gunpowder before mixing them but I have been unable to find a satisfactory method.  There seems to be no reliable method of de-phlogistication, unfortunately’…. Faltaire’s voice tails off rather uncertainly…but then he returns to a new theme with enthusiasm:
‘However, I have recently become interested in the new science of homeopathy which offers a different root to the same goal.  I have found Dr Hahnemann’s new researches and doctrines fascinating.  His key finding is that ‘like cures like’, or, as Paracelsus put it: ‘what makes a man ill also cures him’.  Hahnemann’s research would suggest that an extreme dilution of an active ingredient can maintain or even enhance the ‘spirit-like medicinal powers of the crude substance’.  My deduction is that if this is true in the field of medicine, with ingredients that can be dissolved in water, why the same should be true of gunpowder when ‘dissolved’ in another medium.  Dr Hahnemann claims that he can cure any ill when the active ingredient is dissolved ten thousand fold – think of the power that could be released by homeopathic gunpowder!!’, ends Faltaire excitedly…

‘Hmm, well yes, indeed, Faltaire, that does sound promising but can such a thing work?’ enquires the Burrgrave (not having followed his natural philospher’s logic at all).
Faltaire responds: ‘With your permission sire, I propose to attempt my first experiment with homeopathic gunpowder this very morning under your supervision…’
‘Why, yes of course, my dear fellow, do you have everything you need?’  The Burggrave replies eagerly.
'Indeed, yes' replies Faltaire. 'I believe that I do. Come with me, sire, and watch as I push forward the frontiers of military science!'

2 comments:

  1. How positively exciting! A scientific discovery in Gelderland - will wonders never cease?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed not! The more so since discharges from Nabstrian weapons usually are treated with leeches.

    ReplyDelete